You're currently on:
Barracuda Email Security Gateway 900
Protect your email server from spam, virus, spoofing, phishing and spyware attacks.
|The Barracuda Spam Firewall 900 is an integrated hardware and software solution designed to protect your email server from spam, virus, spoofing, phishing and spyware attacks. It leverages 12 comprehensive defense layers to provide industry-leading defense capabilities for any email server within large corporate or small business environments.|
- Pricing - Buy Now
- » Enterprise-Class Appliance
» Supports 15,000-30,000 accounts.
» Support up to 5,000 unique domains.
» Message Log Storage: 240 GB
» Quarantine Storage: 1 TB
» 10/100/1000 Mbps network speed.
Note: This appliance requires an Energize Update subscription
- Barracuda Total Threat Protection integrates great security components to provide real-time protection against advanced threats. Each component provides comprehensive protection on its own respective vector - network, user, email, web application, remote access, and mobile. It also scales with your organization and evolves with a constantly changing threat landscape.
- Features / Benefits
Features & Benefits of Barracuda Spam Firewall
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides comprehensive protection against the most current email-borne threats that can cripple your network if left unprotected. With our proprietary twelve-layer defense system, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall optimizes performance of your email server while utilizing the following protections:
Protection Against Email-borne Threats» Anti-spam. The algorithms and methods used by the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall are the most comprehensive and most advanced in the industry at detecting and filtering spam resulting in the lowest rate of false positives. Barracuda Networks Predictive Sender Profiling looks beyond the reputation of the sender and digs deeper into the spam campaign itself to identify anomalous activity.
» Anti-virus. By utilizing triple layer virus blocking, decompression of archives and file type blocking, the anti-virus engine in the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides complete virus protection. When new spam and virus outbreaks occur, Barracuda Real-Time Protection will block these threats in real-time.
» Anti-spoofing. This technology prevents the use of forged or “spoofed” sender addresses on unsolicited email. The anti-spoofing feature also allows larger organizations to specify a list of IP addresses that are allowed to have a “From” address that appears from inside the organization to support multiple sites and multiple email servers.
» Anti-phishing. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides robust protection against phishing schemes which are often used to gather confidential information about an organization or its individual users.
» Anti-spyware. (Attachments) - All attachments are scanned and any spyware executables are detected and eliminated immediately.
» Denial of Service Protection. Rate controls are utilized to stop denial of service attacks as well as dictionary based spam attacks. These rate control systems are integrated and automatic in the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall.
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall contains numerous end-user features that allow for individual tuning and greatly enhance the accuracy of our spam filtering.
End-user Control Features
- » User Based Filtering. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be configured to set spam policies by the end-user on an individualized basis or on a global corporate level.
- » Individual Spam Scoring. The individual spam scoring feature allows end-users to set their individual thresholds for spam tolerance providing personalized control over spam policies.
- » Personal Allow and Block Lists. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be configured to allow end-users to have control over their individual allow and block lists which further reduces the chance of false positives.
- » End-User Quarantine. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides the ability to setup quarantine mailboxes where users can direct questionable email for later review. This greatly reduces the support load for large organizations.
- » Digest Emails. A daily email is sent to all end-users with a quarantine account summarizing the contents of their individual quarantine mailboxes.
- » Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes Integration. Barracuda Networks provides a software plug-in for both Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes end-users. With this tool, users can classify messages as spam or not spam in order to fine-tune the filtering and further eliminate any chance of false positives.
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall features an easy-to-use Web user interface, making management and administration of the appliance easy and cost effective. The Web user interface allows you to define, manage and control corporate email policies from one central place.
Simplified and Centralized Administration
- » Multilingual User Interface. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall features a user interface available in many languages including Chinese (simplified and traditional), German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech and English.
- » Barracuda Energize Updates. A team of security engineers at Barracuda Central continuously monitors the Internet for trends in spam and virus attacks. As they detect trends, Energize Updates are created and distributed to all Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewalls, which are automatically updated with new spam rules, spam algorithms, and virus definitions. These updates require zero administration and ensure that your network has comprehensive and accurate protection even as the methods of attack change.
- » Logs and Graphical Reports. System administrators can view logs and generate graphical reports to provide visibility within the organization. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can generate reports on top email users, top spam recipients, top spam senders, and more.
- » Journaling. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall allows support for message archiving. When a value is specified for the journaling destination address, a copy of all mail sent through the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall will be forwarded to that address.
- » No User Charges. With the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall there are no user charges so the system administrator does not have to worry about keeping track of new accounts.
- » Multiple Domains and Multiple Email Servers. A single Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be used for multiple email servers and for multiple domains resulting in lower administrative costs.
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is engineered to meet the specific needs of large enterprises. These models offer all the scalability, redundancy and reliability needed for large-scale deployments at an affordable price.
Protection for Large Enterprises
- » Easy Integration with Existing Network. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall integrates with any IT infrastructure no matter how geographically or logically diverse.
- » Clustering. Multiple Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 400 and higher can also be clustered for automatic scalability, redundancy and fault tolerance.
- » Hot Swap Redundant Disk Array and Power Supply. These features provide a total solution for reliable fault tolerant data storage management necessary for large enterprises.
- » Plug-and-Play Installation. Deploying the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is extremely easy. There is no software to install or modifications necessary to your existing email systems, greatly reducing the time and resources required for installation and ongoing support.
- » LDAP and Microsoft Active Directory Integration. Directory server integration allows for single sign on, on Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 400 and higher, and recipient verification, on Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 300 and higher.
- » User Based Filtering. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be configured to set spam policies by the end-user on an individualized basis or on a global corporate level.
- Compare Models
Model Comparison of Barracuda Spam Firewall
CAPACITY* Active Email Users* 1-50** 51-500 300-1,000 1,000-5,000 Domains 10 50 250 500 Message Log Storage 8 GB 10 GB 12 GB 24 GB Quarantine Storage 20 GB 60 GB HARDWARE Rackmount Chassis 1U Mini 1U Mini 1U Mini 1U Mini Dimensions (in.) 16.8x1.7x9.1 16.8x1.7x14 16.8x1.7x14 16.8x1.7x14 Dimensions (cm.) 42.7x4.3x23.1 42.7x4.3x35.6 42.7x4.3x35.6 42.7x4.3x35.6 Weight (lbs./kg.) 8 / 3.6 12 / 5.4 12 / 5.4 13 / 5.9 Ethernet 1x10/100 1x10/100 1x10/100 1x10/100 AC Input Current (Amps) 1.0 1.0 1.2 1.4 Redundant Disk Array (RAID) ✓ Redundant Power Supply ECC Memory FEATURES Compatible with all Email Servers ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Hardened and Secure OS ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Outbound Email Filtering ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ MS Exchange/LDAP Accelerator ✓ ✓ Per User Settings and Quarantine ✓ ✓ Delegated Help Desk Role ✓ ✓ Syslog Support ✓ ✓ Clustering & Remote Clustering ✓ Per Domain Settings ✓ Single Sign-On ✓ SNMP/API ✓ Customizable Branding Per User Score Settings Delegated Domain Administration
- Buyer's Guide
Barracuda Spam Firewall Buyer's Guide
The purpose of this document is to help you determine which Barracuda Spam Firewall will be best for your organization. When deciding which device you will need the first thing you will want to know is how many email accounts you will need to support. The following table will help you match the device with the amount of email accounts in your organization.
Model Active Email Users Domains Log Storage Quartine Storage Barracuda 100 1-50 10 8 GB Barracuda 200 51-100 50 10 GB Barracuda 300 300-1,000 250 12 GB 20 GB Barracuda 400 1,000-5,000 500 24 GB 60 GB Barracuda 600 3,000-10,000 5,000 72 GB 180 GB Barracuda 800 8,000-22,000 5,000 120 GB 360 GB Barracuda 900 15,000-30,000 5,000 240 GB 1 TB Barracuda 1000 25,000-100,000 5,000 512 GB 2 TB
When comparing the 100 and the 200, the only differences are the amount of email users it will support, domains it will support, and the log storage. There are not any extra features that you get by choosing the 200 over the 100.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall 300 and higher will give you Per user settings and quarantine,MS Exchange/ LDAP recipient verification, and syslog support.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall 400 and higher will give you Clustering, RAID, per domain settings, single sign-on, and the SNMP/API programming interface.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall 600 and above will give you customizable branding and per user score settings. The models 600 and above also have Hot Swappable redundant disk arrays. As you move up the product line, the storage capacity also increases, as is shown in the chart above.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall 800 and above have hot swappable, redundant power supplies.
As you move up the product line, the storage capacity also increases, as shown in the chart above.
Energize Updates- This subscription will give you spam definition updates, anti-virus updates, firmware updates, and access to Barracuda's technical support during office hours. This is a required purchase with any Barracuda appliance for the first year. After the first year, you have the option of whether to renew or not. If you choose not to, you will probably see a significant decrease in performance with your appliance.
Instant Replacement- This is an optional subscription that will extend the hardware warranty appliance and provide for 24x7 technical support with Barracuda. The Instant Replacement service guarantees overnight replacement of your appliance in the event of failure.
Premium Support- This option is available on the Barracuda 600 and above. It will give you the fastest response time, a dedicated support team, and advanced notification of new repairs and features in upcoming software releases. In order to get premium support, both Energize Updates and Instant Replacement must be purchased as well.
Barracuda Spam Firewall FAQs:
- Why did Barracuda Networks change the name of the Barracuda Spam Firewall?
- Are there any changes to the product with this new name?
- Will there be any changes to pricing or part numbers?
- How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against email threats
- How is email filtered?
- Why tag email? What happens to tagged emails?
- Why quarantine email? What happens to quarantined email?
- What are some of the underlying technologies used in the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
- If I am using Microsoft Exchange, how will the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against “dictionary” attacks?
- What new technologies has the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall added to combat the latest spam campaigns?
- How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against virus threats?
- How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall block real-time threats?
- How much time will I spend installing and maintaining the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
- Will I receive a high number of false positives using a Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
- What does Energize Updates include for the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
- Does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall offer per user policies?
- Can the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall filter outbound messages?
- How do I block or minimize the amount of invalid bounce messages?
- Does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall enable administrators to block email from other countries?
- How do I know which Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall model is best suited to my needs?
- What if I have more questions about the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
Why did Barracuda Networks change the name of the Barracuda Spam Firewall?
Barracuda Networks is adding new emphasis to its purpose-built anti-virus engine for email and Web threats. Unlike desktop anti-virus engines retrofitted for gateway use, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall features anti-virus technology specifically designed for rapid response to viruses that propagate and mutate quickly over botnets and through other bulk email delivery techniques.
When Barracuda Networks launched the Barracuda Spam Firewall in October 2003, most organizations already had anti-virus software, usually from the vendors of their desktop anti-virus software. These organizations were looking for an immediate solution to manage the deluge of spam coming into their mail servers, and the name Barracuda Spam Firewall was chosen to describe a solution to that core problem.
Since then, the threat landscape has evolved to the point where a desktop anti-virus software package retrofitted for mail server usage is no longer suited to provide maximum protection. Today’s botnets and zombies rapidly propagate and mutate not only commercial spam traffic but also virus and other malware traffic.
Over the past five years, Barracuda Networks has been developing and enhancing a purpose-built anti-virus engine specifically designed for email-borne threats, featuring:
- rapid response to new threats and variants
- prioritization of the threats that propagate most aggressively
- low false positives
- complete coverage by integrating signatures from ClamAV, the world’s largest free and open source software (FOSS) repository of virus definitions
Are there any changes to the product with this new name?
No. While current firmware releases will be branded with the name Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, this change should be viewed as evolutionary, not revolutionary. The underlying technology enhancements, including Barracuda Real-Time Protection and Predictive Sender Profiling, have been introduced and continually evolving in the product for years.
Will there be any changes to pricing or part numbers?
No. Pricing will not change with this announcement. Existing part numbers (e.g., BSF100) will still be used. A new price list will be distributed to existing resellers with new description fields, but part numbers and pricing will not change with this announcement.
How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against email threats?
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, an integrated hardware and software solution, uses a multilayered approach to provide the most comprehensive email protection available against spam, viruses, spoofing, phishing and spyware attacks. An added benefit of the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is the optimized processing of each email to maximize performance and capability to filter millions of messages per day.
Behind the industry-leading initiatives of Predictive Sender Profiling and Barracuda Real-Time Protection are 12 explicit defense layers including: Denial of Service and Security Protection, Rate Controls, IP Reputation Analysis, Sender Authentication, Recipient Verification, Virus Protection, Policy (user-specified rules), Fingerprint Analysis, Intent Analysis, Image Analysis, Bayesian Analysis, and a Spam Rules Scoring engine.
How is email filtered?
Deployed at the network perimeter, all incoming email must pass through all 12 defense layers of the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall before any of it can reach the intended recipients. The defense layers are grouped into two main classes: connection management, which involves dropping incoming mail connections before receiving messages, and mail scanning, which analyzes messages upon receipt. During the filtering process, emails are checked for new and familiar spammer attacks, viruses, and customized administrator policy violations. Based on administrator and user preferences, spam can be tagged, quarantined or blocked.
Why tag email? What happens to tagged emails?
Tagging email benefits organizations by easily identifying messages that meet set criteria. Tagged emails are delivered to the recipient with a customizable label, such as [BULK], that is added to the subject of the message.
Why quarantine email? What happens to quarantined email?
Quarantining emails is a safeguard that allows for examination of questionable messages prior to accepting or rejecting; typically, quarantined email does turn out to be spam. An administrator can choose two types of email quarantine: global or per user quarantine.
When configured for global quarantine, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall routes all quarantined email to a mailbox specified by the administrator. When configured for per user quarantine, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall stores the email locally and notifies users periodically of their quarantined email. Users can choose to delete quarantined email, forward it to their own mailboxes or whitelist the sender address to prevent future email from being quarantined. Per user quarantine is available with the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 300, 400, 600, 800 and 900 models.
What are some of the underlying technologies used in the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall uses a combination of proprietary and open source software. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall operating system is based on a hardened, stable Linux kernel that has undergone strict scrutiny by top security researchers. The robust MTA is capable of handling a high number of SMTP connections and mail delivery volumes. Starting with firmware release 3.5, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall MTA has a built-in journaling function that can be used in conjunction with the Barracuda Message Archiver.
If I am using Microsoft Exchange, how will the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against “dictionary” attacks?
The Microsoft Exchange Accelerator, available on Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 300 and higher, uses the Lightweight Dictionary Access Protocol (LDAP) built into Exchange to verify recipients before delivering messages to the Microsoft Exchange Server.
What new technologies has the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall added to combat the latest spam campaigns?
In 2007 alone, Barracuda Networks has announced several initiatives against spam:
- Multi-Pass Optical Character Recognition Engine: Image spam generally embeds text within images with the intent of hiding content and bypassing the text rules processing layers of spam filters. With Barracuda Networks’ industry-leading multi-pass OCR engine, Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewalls render the spammers’ tricks to hide text behind color or blurred images ineffective.
- Predictive Sender Profiling: Barracuda Networks’ industry-leading Predictive Sender Profiling probes deeper into sent email and digs into the campaign itself to identify anomalous sender activity, allowing Barracuda Networks to effectively block spam typically unstoppable by traditional reputation analysis.
- Barracuda Real-Time Protection: Barracuda Real-Time Protection uses an advanced set of technologies to immediately block the latest virus, spyware and other malware attacks as they emerge. Leveraging the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewalls large and diverse customer base, Barracuda Networks leads in industry in detecting early trends and responding to email-borne threats
How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall protect against virus threats?
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides comprehensive protection against virus threats through three powerful layers. The first layer consists of a well-respected open source virus scanning engine. The second layer is a proprietary virus engine maintained by Barracuda Central, an advanced 24/7 security operations center that works to continuously monitor and block the latest Internet threats. The third layer is Barracuda Real-Time Protection, a set of advanced technologies that enable Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewalls to immediately block the latest virus, spyware and other malware attacks as they emerge without having to wait for a signature to be downloaded onto the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall.
How does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall block real-time threats?
Barracuda Central engineers diligently work 24x7 monitoring spam and virus threats around the world. Since response times are crucial with real-time threats, when one is detected the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall uses Barracuda Real-Time Protection to mitigate these threats as they emerge without waiting for new updates.
How much time will I spend installing and maintaining the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
The Barracuda Spam Firewall is designed as an easy-to-install appliance requiring minimal administrative overhead. Without any tuning, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall offers a 95 percent spam accuracy rate with a 0.01 percent false positive rate. Taking into account the six defense layers automatically tuned by Energize Updates, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is easily kept up-to-date for ongoing spam accuracy.
Will I receive a high number of false positives using a Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
With no tuning, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is set to minimize false positives, typically at 0.01 percent or less – one of the lowest false positive ratings in the industry. As with any solution that allows for user customization, each customer’s false positive return will vary depending on how the administrator tunes the unit (i.e. a stricter spam score setting may result in more false positives).
What does Energize Updates include for the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
The Barracuda Energize Updates subscription provides the latest spam and virus definition updates that block new campaigns before they become an outbreak. Barracuda Central engineers constantly update spam and virus definitions and are able to remotely tune six of the 12 defense layers, thereby minimizing administration time. Energize Updates also gives you access to technical support, new firmware releases and the opportunity to participate in the Barracuda Early Release Firmware program.
Does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall offer per user policies?
Per user policies are available in Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 300 and higher. Per user policies empower users with the ability to set their own individual scoring policies, Bayesian database, allow lists and block lists.
Can the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall filter outbound messages?
Yes. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall filters outbound messages for viruses and basic spam scanning policies. For advanced outbound scanning, Barracuda Networks offers the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall-Outbound which includes different workflows for quarantining outbound email traffic for review by policy auditors.
How do I block or minimize the amount of invalid bounce messages?
Invalid bounce messages are non-delivery reports to forged email addresses. To block invalid bounce messages, enable the Invalid Bounce Suppression feature and relay all your outgoing email through the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall or the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall-Outbound appliance.
Does the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall enable administrators to block email from other countries?
Yes. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall offers different ways to block spam from other countries:
- Based on a Reverse DNS lookup, administrators block messages whose top level domain resolves to a country’s hostname.
- Based on the declared character set of an email, administrators block messages that contain a specific language set.
- While it is not recommended by Barracuda Networks, administrators create custom policies to filter other patterns in the subject, header or body to block unwanted email from other countries.
How do I know which Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall model is best suited to my needs?
A local Barracuda Networks sales representative can evaluate your environment based on the number of active users, email traffic and desired features. As your organization expands, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be clustered to accommodate your additional growth.
What if I have more questions about the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall?
For additional assistance, please visit our technical support forum or contact your BarracudaStore.com sales representative. To obtain a demo of the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, please call 866.892.5081 (toll free)
- Why did Barracuda Networks change the name of the Barracuda Spam Firewall?